Flan.......AKA.....Caramel Egg pudding
In my Vanilla Panna Cotta post I had mentioned that I had used the vanilla bean wisely.....see what I meant by that.....I don't think I would like it any other way.....I am FAN of vanilla bean.
This flan is a creamy version of caramelized egg pudding .....a must try.
Recipe source:Laura Vitale
Print this recipe
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cream
- 1 Vanilla Bean, seeds scraped out with knife
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Egg yolk
- Pinch salt
- 3 tbsp Sugar
For caramel syrup
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 3 tbsp Water
- Preheat oven to 180 Degree C. Keep a kettle of boiling hot water ready for water bath. Lightly grease 4 ramekins with oil.
- In a saucepan, add cream, milk,salt, vanilla seeds and vanilla bean and cook on medium low heat, bring to a simmer and take off the flame.Discard the vanilla bean.Let this sit for a while
- Prepare caramel syrup:- In a saucepan combine sugar and water.Cook on medium high heat, you can swirl the saucepan but remember NEVER TO STIR.Cook the mixture till it turns deep amber color which might take around 10 minutes.Do not leave this mixture even for a second or you might burn the syrup.Divide the syrup immediately into the prepared ramekins and tilt the ramekins to spread the caramel syrup.Keep aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs,egg yolk and sugar till well combined.Pour the warm cream milk mixture into the egg, whisk continuously while doing so.Divide this among the ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a big cake pan or roasting pan,pour hot water half way up the ramekins.Carefully transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or till the top is set.
- Remove the ramekins from the water bath and chill in fridge for few hours.
- Run a knife around the edges and transfer on to a serving plate by turning it upside down.