It was my Mom's birthday on 25th and I was all prepared to bake a cake for her,something went wrong and it failed,the cake just did not rise,it was like a flat ,hard piece of cake and whats worse it had that EGGY smell.I was so disappointed,I had no time to bake another cake.We had to settle with a store bought cake.But I was determined to make a cake for my mom,the next day with my sister Devinas help,we made this amazing cake.
This cake was yummmm,the chocolate cake,whipped cream and ganache makes an amazing combination.I would like to thank Devina for helping me out and also for sharing her friends recipe for the whipped cream frosting.I would also suggest you use a 9 inch baking pan,coz we used 8 inch pan and the cakes looked so chubby and each slice was very tall.
Print this recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tsp instant coffee powder(got this idea from Divya Kudua's blog easycooking )
- 3tbsp unsalted butter (softened)
- 6 tbsp caster or icing sugar
- 400ml whipping cream (I used Emborg)
- pinch salt
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 200 grms semi sweet chocolate chips
- 200 ml heavy cream
1. Grease two 8 or 9 inch cake tin and keep aside.
2.Pre heat oven at 175 degree C.
3.Mix 2 tsp instant coffee powder in the boiling water and keep aside.
4. Sieve flour, baking powder, baking soda ,cocoa powder and salt.Place it in a big mixing bowl,add the sugar.
5.Add eggs,milk,oil and vanilla essence into the mixing bowl.Beat with an electric whisk on medium speed for 2 minutes.Pour in the boiling water (with coffee powder) into the batter and mix well.The batter will be thin.
7.Cool the cake for 5 minutes in the tin,then cool it completely on wire rack before icing it.
- Pour cream into a thick bottomed vessel, place on low flame.When the bubbles form around sides of the pan,remove from flame and pour on to the chocolate chips.Let it stay for a few minutes,mix till the chocolate and cream is well blended and the chocolate chips are melted.
- You will have an amazing smooth and silky batter.let the ganache cool down completely before using.If it hardens then heat in a microwave for few seconds.keep this aside.
- Beat sugar and butter in a bowl using an electric whisk,when its creamy add the salt, vanilla essence and cream.
- Whip on high speed till thick and fluffy.Place in the fridge till further use.
- Place one Chocolate cake on a cake tray. slice the top part of the cake to make it even(at this point you can place three strips of baking paper around the edges of the cake,this helps in keeping the cake tray clean while you are icing the cake.after the icing the cake just pull away the baking paper).Put 4 to 5 tbsp of whipped cream frosting on the cake and spread it evenly. Pour around 4 tbsp of cooled ganache on the whipped cream and spread.Place another cake on top of the ganache.
- Slice top of the cake to make it even and flat.Use all the whipped cream frosting and cover the cake evenly.place the cake in the fridge for 10 minute,
- Remove the cake and pour the ganache on top of the cake,You can let the ganache drip down the sides of the cake or spread it around the entire cake.
- Place the cake in fridge till the ganache sets, once its set remove the baking paper on the sides of the cake (ganache would have dripped on it)
- Decorate the cake .I have used sprinkles to decorate this cake.
- Serve with vanilla icecream .