I had planned to write 1000 words for this post, I mean that's how much I thought I could write about my dad
But I was stuck, this was all I could come up with.
Dad you are my hero, happy birthday
Dad cutting cake with my daughter(polka dots) and her 2 best friends
Recipe source : Nigella lawson
Print this recipe
for sponge cake
- 200 grams plain flour (maida)
- 3 tbsp custard powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp soda bi carbonate
- 4 eggs
- 225 grams butter (unsalted and softened)
- 200 grams caster sugar (regular sugar powdered)
- 4 tbsp milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
for Butter cream filling
- 250 grams icing sugar
- 8 tsp custard powder
- 150 grams butter (unsalted and softened)
- 3 tsp boiling water
for Chocolate icing
- 60ml water
- 2 tbsp golden syrup (I used pancake syrup)
- 125grams icing sugar(or 50grams if using milk chocolate)
- 175 dark chocolate (chips, buttons or bar broken to bits)
- cake decoration / sprinkles
1. Bring all the ingredients to room temperature(eggs and butter). Preheat oven at 180 degree C and butter and line two 8 inch round baking tin (I have lined the sides of the tin with baking paper too)
2. Mix butter, egg, vanilla essence and sugar into a big bowl, sieve in flour, baking powder, soda bi carbonate and custard powder. Beat with electric whisk till well combined. Now pour milk 1 tablespoon at a time to get soft dropping consistency.
3.Divide the batter into the prepared tins and bake for 20 minutes or till done.Once done, remove from oven and cool on wire rack for 5 minutes, remove from tin and peel away the paper and place the cake on wire rack and let it cool completely.
4. Butter cream icing : Sieve icing sugar and custard powder(to remove lumps) into a mixing bowl, add softened butter and beat with electric whisk till well combined, beat on high speed. Now add boiling water(this will help in spreading the icing smoothly) and beat till you get a light and fluffy butter cream icing.
5.Place the cake on a cake stand and place 3 strips of baking paper along the sides of the cake, this will help in keeping the cake tray clean after icing the cake.
9. Chocolate icing : In a heat proof vessel mix icing sugar(sieved), pancake syrup and water. Place this on low heat and stir till sugar is dissolved. bring this mixture to boil and take off the flame. Now add chopped dark chocolate and whisk for a second.Leave to let the chocolate melt. Whisk till you get a smooth and shining icing.Pour this over the cake and let it drip down the sides.
10. Sprinkle with cake decoration. Once the chocolate icing sets, slowly remove the 3 strips of baking paper.
11. Serve the cake.