Monday, October 24, 2011

Diwali Special - Karada Kaddi / Kara Sev


Karada Kaddi ...translated .....Spicy Stick.

You tell my mom to cook for 100 people ...she will do it in a jiffy....but ...you tell her to make snacks or sweets .....she will run a mile away from you...She has never been a snack or sweet person(loves to eat them...but not make them)...she believes...."When you can get it in any store, why go through the trouble of making it"...so this duty of making sweets ...snacks...desserts for festivals or parties comes to me.

I had bookmarked recipes for kara sev from many of my fellow bloggers ...but I settled down with my Granny's recipe for karada kaddi...she showed me her hand for measurements...explained the whole procedure in 1 minute and left to sit on her easy chair and  watch her favorite serial. I made the Kara Kaddi
in the afternoon...the whole batch was finished by evening(I was hoping it will last till diwali). It was so crispy and fresh.....never going for store bought Kara sev ever again. Will be making it again next week for my hubby who loves munching on these...


Ingredients
Print this recipe
  • 3 cups Besan (Gram flour)
  • 4 tbsp rice flour
  • Pinch Hing (asafoetida) 
  • Pinch Soda powder (optional)
  • 2 tsp Red chilli powder
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • salt to taste
  • 2 tsp Ajwain seeds
  • 3 green chillies 
  • oil for deep frying
Method
  1. Grind green chillies and ajwain in small mixie jar to a coarse pasted. Add 1 cup water and grind again.Pass this through a sieve. Use this water to knead the dough.
  2. In a bowl mix besan, rice flour, salt, soda powder, hing,red chilli powder, melted butter and oil. Add the green chilli - ajwain water and form a sticky dough. Use as much water required (you don't have to use up all the water)
  3. Heat oil in a pan. Oil the Sev press and fill it with the prepared dough.and press into hot oil.make one circle of sev. fry on both sides till golden brown or till the sound and bubbles subside.
  4. Remove from oil and place it on absorbent paper.
  5. Repeat the same with rest of the dough.
  6. Let the sev cool down completely before breaking to medium size pieces and store in air tight container.

8 comments:

  1. Crunchy munchy sev tempts me a lot..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally loved your version of grinding chillies & oma...Makes this a highly additive snack!!! Happy Diwali to you & your family :)
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crisp and crunchy Karasev .Luvly capture.Luv the recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of the yummy Murukkus that my Keralite neighbours used to make on Diwali....my family & I just loved it. Happy Diwali to you & your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Khara Sev.. Your's looks very good Charishma..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know Im a bit late on commenting on this recipe,But had to comment coz i tried it out during diwali and it was so tasty..My hubby finished it all, so had to make again to give my friends. Even Muruku i did with the same ingredients. Its really yummy!! thanks for the lovely recipes. Wish you a very happy new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dr Rashmi
    thank you for trying out the kara kadi...and i totally agree with you...it got over in my house too and i had to make another batch..i too love munching on them.....i think i finished most of it while frying ....so the second batch i told me aunt to fry instead :)))glad you liked it....felt good reading your comment....
    wish you a very happy new year too
    charishma :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...