Monday, April 11, 2011

lemon rice

there are different version of lemon rice,this is how we make it.I would like to thank Kamala,my maid who taught me to make this:)(my mom would so be happy if she knew that I thanked her maid,ever felt how most of the Indian ladies have this special attachment with their maids. If I asked my mom to choose between me and her maid, she would choose her maid in blink of an eye)

ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons oil
  • 1 teaspoon mustard seed
  • 1 teaspoon urad dal
  • 1 tablespoons chana dal
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 2 red whole red chili
  • 1 medium sized onion chopped finely(optional)
  • 4 green chili slit
  • 10 to 15 fresh curry leaves
  • 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
  •  salt adjust to taste
  • 3 tbsp  lemon juice
  • 2 cups cooked rice( for 1 cup raw rice add 1 3/4 cup water)



method
* Heat oil in a pan on medium flame. when oil is little hot add mustard seed, urad dal, channa dal and peanuts. fry till mustard start to pop and the urad and channa dal turns light brown.add curry leaves,red chillies and green chillies and fry for few seconds. Add chopped onions and fry till translucent. Now add turmeric powder and salt and fry for 30 seconds. Pour in the lemon juice( At this point you can cool the mixture and refrigerate it till further use, this can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 weeks)


*After adding the lemon juice mix in the rice and stir till well combined.


*Lemon rice is ready to be served with potato chips.


Note
*you can double or triple the quantity of this mixture and refrigerate.Whenever you  want to make lemon rice, remove 3 tbsp of the lemon mixture, heat it in  pan and add cooked rice.
(I make this lemon mixture is large quantities before I leave to India so that my husband can make lemon rice whenever he wants to)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...