Thursday, April 21, 2011

tiramisu

tiramisu is a very famous Italian dessert, it literally means 'pick me up'.In authentic tiramasu recipe mascarpone cheese and dark rum or marsala wine is used. Its hard to get mascarpone cheese here,the recipe I followed  used cream cheese and since I was sharing this with my friend and her kids I skipped the alcohol.

ingredients
  • cream cheese  200grms(softened in room temperature)
  • lady fingers 20 (can use white cake)
  • sugar 6tbsp
  • egg yolk 3
  • whipping cream 3/4 cup
  • strong coffee  1 1/2 cup (2 tbsp coffee powder dissolved in 1 1/2 cup hot water)
  • cocoa powder 2 tbsp

method

  1. In a bowl mix whipping cream and 1 tbsp sugar and beat till soft peaks are formed,keep this in the fridge till further use.
  2. In a large bowl mix cream  cheese and 3 tbsp sugar, beat until the sugar is dissolved.
  3. In another bowl combine egg yolk and 3 tbsp sugar and whisk till the sugar is dissolved. Keep this bowl on double boiler and keep stirring the egg yolks and sugar till it turns lemon yellow in color(keep stirring or you might end up  with scrambled eggs)
  4. pour the egg yolk mixture into the cream cheese mixture immediately.Mix well.
  5. To the above mixture add 2 tbsp of coffee liquid and mix well.
  6. Now add the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture and combine well.
how to assemble: prepare a serving dish, dip the ladyfingers into the coffee liquid for not more than 2 seconds(ladyfingers are very delicate and dissolve very quickly) and lay it in the serving dish.

on the ladyfingers pour half of the cream cheese mixture, dust cocoa powder through  a tea strainer on the cream cheese
Repeat with layering of ladyfinger, cream cheese and cocoa powder.
let the tiramisu set for 8 hrs in the fridge.
my tiramisu did not set completely, it had a little custard like consistency ,but tasted very good.

Tiramisu on FoodistaTiramisu

8 comments:

  1. great minds think alike! I just did Tiramisu on Sunday!
    Cheers
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my god, you commented,I saw your tiramisu, my tiramisu just got a complex and went hiding under the table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Tiramisu .. my all time fav :) I made strawberry tiramisu once and could hold my tempt to take some pics. Then I made the coffee Tiramisu and all my friends finished them in like 30 mins .. :( have to make it again so that finally i can post it :) Glad to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your recipes are delicious!I love tiramisu.I followed you from the foodie blog roll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this tiramisu widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about tiramisu,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you kankana, iam following your blog, you have very good recipes:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where can one find lady fingers in Bangalore, charisma? Oh and btw great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi
      actually I have no idea where we get ladyfingers here in bangalore.I made this tiramisu when i was in the middle east...and we used to get ladyfingers in all the supermarkets...i have heard that lady fingers can be substituted with sponge cake...though there will be difference in texture...
      i will let you know if get lady fingers here in bangalore ...if i ever do :)
      cherie

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...