Monday, August 20, 2012

Thouthe kodel -Mangalore Cucumber Curry


I have always maintained that I am a hardcore Non Vegetarian.......I just realized that I do not enjoy vegetarian food for a reason.....its just that my mom and me...we are not good vegetarian cooks.....In our house, a veg dish is served because it just makes us feel less guilty for not eating more healthy veggies.....We are 'Fish and Chicken' people.....In our house sentences like "I am vegetarian" and "I love vegetarian food" is actually considered a crime and looked down upon........but there are few authentic Mangalorean veggie dishes that mom makes best ....like ...Manoli Kadle , Uppad Pacchir ,Pathrode Fry and of course thouthe kodel to name a few ,actually that is all I can think of......damn....we are such  pathetic Veggies.....


Ingredients
  • 1 small Thouthe/Mangalore Cucumber (washed,de seeded and chopped)
  • Tamarind lemon size
  • 1 tbsp Jaggery
  • 3 cups Water
  • 1 tsp Mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp Urad dal
  • 2 tsp Oil
  • 3 tsp Coriander seeds
  • 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
  • 1/4 Fenugreek seeds
  • 8 dry Red chillies (5 long and 3 small)
  • 1 tsp Turmeric powder
  • 3 cloves Garlic
  • 1/2 Onion chopped
  • 1 cup Coconut
  • Salt to taste
For seasoning
  • 4 cloves Garlic (with skin)
  • 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
  • 1/2 tsp Urad dal
  • 10 Curry leaves
  • 2 Red chillies
  • 3 tsp Oil
Method
  1. Place a pan on medium flame add oil, roast mustard seeds,urad dal,coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and red chillies for few minutes.
  2. Put the above into a mixer jar,add turmeric,garlic,onion and coconut and grind to a fine paste. Keep this aside.
  3. In a big vessel put 3 cups water,add tamarind and squeeze till well mixed ,add jaggery and chopped thouthe and cover and cook this till thouthe is almost done.Now add the above ground coconut masala paste and salt and mix well and cook for 5 to 8 minutes.
  4. In a small place add oil,when hot add mustard seeds and urad dal,when mustard seeds pop add crushed garlic,curry leaves and red chillies.fry till the garlic turns brown.Pour over the thouthe kodel.
  5. Serve with rice.

12 comments:

  1. Looks awesome...What is Thoute?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous..thank you..actually thouthe is mangalore cucumber also know as madras cucumber...thank you for pointing that out...I have updated the name :)
    charishma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the wonderful recipe! simply superb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi cherie, i tried this, turned out very good. ur measurements are very accurate. thanks a ton
    anitha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Cherie,
    I tired this recipe many times never got it right..but when I found this one in ur blog and tired it ....it bought back my good old memories of mom's cooking..
    Thanks a ton

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried this..Turned out really well.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked this recipe too, thought it was a little time consuming but not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I love this curry. The first time I ate it, it was about 6 years ago. Now I want to make this asap. Lovely photographs Charisma

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried this recipe & it turned out very very nice..thanks for the wonderful veg recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charisma............... ur karishma is exuberating....... n coaxing more ppl like me to try out Mangalorean cuisines ..... Thank you very much for what you are doing is gr8 work... love u ma lady
    Sattu bhai

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi cherrie ...I am from mlore ,studied in anns . Any other name for mangalore cucumber which I can find it here in US? Wonderful photography ,what camera do u use?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Cherie, I tried out this curry recipe and it turned out really tasty. I'd often seen Mangalore Cucumber being sold everywhere in Bangalore but didn't know how to cook it. One day just bought it as who can resist the beautiful green and yellow stripped fruit. Searched for a recipe and stumbled upon yours. Thanks or sharing the recipe and my family loved the curry but I used less chilis.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...