Does your mouth water when you hear some one say 'tamarind'? Yes of course my mouthwaters even when I see a chocolate cake or chicken biryani,but the feel is different.My tongue tingles whenever I see tamarind chutney ,its like my taste buds have a life of its own.
This chutney goes very well with chaats and can be stored in the fridge for almost 3 months.
Print this recipe
• 220 grms tamarind
• 2 1/2 cups sugar(adjust to taste)
• 2 cups boiling water
• 1 1/2 tablespoons roasted ground cumin seeds
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 1 teaspoon black salt
• 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
• 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- Break tamarind to bits and soak in boiling water for 1 hour. After an hour, mash the tamarind and pass it through a strainer,press to remove the pulp.
- Add sugar to the pulp and mix well.
- Now add cumin powder, salt, black salt, red chilli powder, black pepper and ginger powder.
- Adjust sugar and salt as needed.