I love coffee.Remember those college days ,cold Cafe Frappe at Coffee Day.
Guess my taste buds have matured now,moved on to hot Cappuccino and Espresso.
I just enjoy coffee and cake.
Coffee cake ,life cannot get better than this.
This cake is for my hubby, though he is a hardcore tea drinker, he just enjoys drinking coffee at 'Caribou Coffee', Hot Cappucino with cream and caramel -his favorite.
few months back my hubby surprised me with this amazing book 'Cake Days ' from Hummingbird Bakery.
Such an amazing book,simple recipes and mouth watering pictures.Best gift ever.Thank you ;)
This is originally a cupcake recipe,Iam not good with cupcakes.Chose to make a cake instead.
Ingredients for sponge
Print this recipe
- 240 ml milk
- 20 g instant espresso
- 80g unsalted butter(softened)
- 240g plain flour
- 280g castor sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 50 ml milk
- 16g instant espresso
- 500g icing sugar
- 160g unsalted butter(softened)
- demerrara sugar to sprinkle
- Pre heat oven to 190 degree C
- Dissolve the espresso powder into warm milk, keep this aside.
- With an electric beater combine sugar, butter, flour, baking powder and salt at low speed,until they are breadcrumbs like consistency.
- Break 2 eggs into the coffee flavored milk and whisk by hand until well combined.
- Pour 3/4 th of the coffee-milk and egg mixture into the dry ingredients and mix together on low speed.Then increase the speed to medium and keep beating until smooth and thick.Add the remaining milk and egg mixture.Scrape down the sides and beat on medium speed until mixed together and you have a smooth batter.
- Pour this batter into a 9 inch cake tin and bake for 40 minutes or till done.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely before frosting.
- Dissolve espresso powder to slightly warm milk and keep aside to cool completely before using.
- Beat butter and icing sugar with an electric beater until fully combined and the mixture is sandy consistency.
- Now pour the coffee flavoured milk and beat on low speed till well combines.
- Beat on high speed till light and fluffy.
- Spoon the icing on the cake and cover the sides.
- Sprinkle demarara sugar on the frosting.
- Espresso cake ready to be served.