OK I think my blog will be incomplete without Manoli kadle....Its a traditional Mangalorean side dish, served with rice.
Print this recipe
- 1/2 Kg Ivy Gourd /Manoli (tip removed and slit)
- 1 cup Small Black Chickpea
- salt to taste
- 5 dry red chillies (roasted) 3 long red chillies and and 2 small
- 3 tsp coriander seeds (roasted)
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds (roasted)
- 3 garlic (with skin)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 cup fresh grated coconut
- 2 tsp jaggery (adjust to taste)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 3 garlic (crrushed)
- 5 to 6 curry leaves
- 1 dry red chilly
- Soak Chickpeas in water overnight.Cook Black Chickpea with little salt in pressure cooker , drain and keep aside.
- Place Ivy gourd/ manoli in a vessel with little water and salt and cook till done and water evaporated. Keep aside.
- Place roasted red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, garlic and jaggery in a small mixie jar and grind to fine powder. Add coconut and grind for less that 10 seconds (coconut should be coarse). Keep aside.
- Place a pan on medium heat , add oil, when oil is hot add mustard seeds, when it starts popping add urad dal and fry till it turns golden brown. Add crushed garlic, curry leaves and red chilly and stir for few seconds.
- Now add the ground coconut masala and fry for a minute or two to remove raw smell.
- Add cooked Chickpeas and Ivy gourd / Manoli and mix well. adjust salt. If its too dry sprinkle little water.Cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Take off the flame.
- Serve with rice and Touthe Kodel