My mom makes the best egg/veg noodles....yes she does...I have never had better noodles even at any of the best Chinese restaurants in Bangalore (not exaggerating)
Moms noodles were pretty popular in college.........I remember taking it to college one day,and my friend Vidhya just could not wait to open it at lunch time.......we opened the lunch box eagerly,we just had two bites and to our horror the whole box toppled and fell on the floor..........I can still remember Vidhya's expression ,it was like the biggest disaster ever.........Both of us were just staring at the noodles on the floor,we were mourning for it...........For a minute I thought Vidhya might just pick it from the floor........Thank god she did not :)
- 2 packets egg or plain noodles
- 2 medium carrots (finely sliced)
- 1/4 kg beans (finely chopped)
- 1 capsicum (finely sliced)
- pepper and salt to taste
- 3 tbsp soya sauce or more
- 1/4 cup spring onion (chopped)
- 3 tsp vinegar
- 1/4 cup bean sprouts (optional)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 4 eggs (optional)
- Heat water in a big vessel,when water comesto boil,add salt and 1 tsp oil.Drop the noodles into the boiling water and cook till almost done or should I say Al dente like the Italians say.(the quality of the noodle matters a lot,I have used a local brand noodles,its works out perfect for me)
- Pour the water and noodles into a large strainer and drain all the water.Place the noodles under running water to cool it down and stop the cooking process.Place this aside.
- In a vessel place carrot ,beans and capsicum and less than 1/4 cup water and salt.Cook the vegetable until almost done.(This is not how its done in restaurants,in Chinese restaurants the flame is 20 times more powerful than the house flame,vegetable get cooked fast there,but I prefer my veggies well done,if you have noticed in restaurants ,the veggies in the noodles are usually under cooked,you can skip this step if you want to ,cook the veggies on high flame)
- Place a wok on high flame,add 1/2 tbsp oil,when hot fry the cooked veggies for a minute,sprinkle little pepper and salt ,remove from wok and keep aside.
- Add oil to wok and fry the noodles in 3 batches adding soya sauce,pepper,salt and vinegar.
- Place all the noodles on one side of the wok,add oil and break eggs ,add little salt and pepper and scramble the eggs.Mix in the vegetable ,beans sprouts and noodles.Stir for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle spring onion.
- Serve with chilli chicken or Prawn in garlic sauce