Potato Cheese Croquettes are perfect appetizers for any party.....and kids just love anything that has potato....cheese.....and is deep fried...I would have put this under Kids Special if not for the glass of beer in the pic.....but on second thoughts....it can easily pass off as apple juice (please don't mind the silliness)
Print this recipe
- 5 medium Potatoes
- 4 tbsp thick White Sauce
- 2 tsp Red Chilli Flakes
- 1 tsp Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh Coriander leaves , chopped
- 2 Green Chillies ,finely chopped
- 100g Mozarella Cheese ,cut to thin strips
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Flour (maida)
- 1 egg or 2 tbsp cornflour
- Oil to deep fry
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 tbsp Flour (maida)
- 1/2 cup Milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the potatoes and cut into medium size cubes, place in a vessel and add enough water to cover the potatoes, add 2 tsp salt and cover and cook on medium flame till the potatoes are cooked and tender (do not over cook,the potatoes should hold their shape)
- Drain the water from the potatoes and mash using back of a fork.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes into a bowl and add white sauce 1 tbsp at a time (do not use all the white sauce), you should get a soft potato dough not a gummy sticky paste, now add remaining ingredients- red chilli flakes ,pepper,salt ,green chillies,coriander leaves and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Now take a small ball of potato dough and flatten on your palm, place the cheese strip in between and cover,roll into cylinders or desire shapes (try to keep the cheese in the middle or the cheese will melt and ooze out while frying). Prepare rest of the croquettes similarly and rest in the refrigerator for 15 minutes (this will harden the croquettes and will be easy to handle while coating them)
- Now beat one egg* in a bowl and keep aside , spread breadcrumbs and flour in two separate plates , get ready to coat the croquettes.Roll the croquettes in flour,dust away the excess flour,dip it in the egg and roll in breadcrumbs and keep aside. Repeat the same process for rest of the croquettes.
- Keep the coated croquettes in the refrigerator till further use.
- Heat oil in a vessel on medium high flame. When the oil is hot enough drop in the coated croquettes and fry till it turns golden brown (fry two or three croquettes at a time)
- Remove from oil and place on kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce , mayonnaise , sour cream or green chutney.
- Place a small non stick vessel on medium low flame, add butter and flour and fry for 1 to 2 minutes ,now slowly add the milk and keep mixing to avoid lumps.
- Cook till the sauce thickens,Add salt and pepper.
- The sauce will thicken more once it cools down.
*Instead of egg, mix cornflour in enough water to make a semi thick liquid and dip the floured croquettes in it and roll in the breadcrumbs and deep fry