Saturday, November 12, 2011

Majoon/ Majun- Indian Cooking Challenge


 I became a member for Indian cooking challenge 2 months back,I did not post my last months recipe challenge- Chola fali (Gujurathi snack)...reason being.....I made it...but it did not look or taste anywhere close to Chola Fali (I would name mine Chola FAIL)-picture at the end of this post. I definitely built up muscles with all the pounding needed to make the Chola fali.

This months challenge was Majoon-a famous Sindhi winter dish,  I had heard that name for the first time..totally an alien dish to me..when I saw the ingredients and instructions,it seemed pretty simple and the Video on Youtube helped a little....When I was done with the dish and tasted it....it was very similar to milk peda with loads of nuts...it had a nice chunky texture and a I loved the slight crunch of poppy seeds.Whatever little that I know about this dish Majoon......its a winter sweet made in most of the Sindhi household....supposedly had with breakfast and is considered to be an energy bar.

I am not sure if this is how Majoon is supposed to look like...but I tried....its definitely a treat for those whole love milk based sweets.


Recipe source :-Ribbon's to Pasta's
Ingredients
Print this recipe
  • 63g Badam(Almond)
  • 63g Cashew nuts
  • 32g Pistachios
  • 32g Dates(chopped)
  • 38g Khus Khus (Poppy seeds)
  • 125g Sugar
  • 570ml Milk
  • 125g Khoya
  • 100g Ghee
  • 1 tsp Cardamom powder 


Method
  1. Crush the Pistachios, cashew nuts and almond slightly and keep aside.
  2. Boil milk in an non stick pan ,after it comes to a boil add sugar and dissolve.
  3. Add chopped dry dates, poppy seeds(khus khus) and khoya.Mix well.
  4. Cook till the milk mixture reduces to half its volume.
  5. Now add the crushed nuts,cook on low flame till the milk is evaporated. Do not leave this mixture unattended or it might burn.Stir and keep adding 1 tbsp ghee in regular intervals.
  6. When the milk dries up and very little moisture is seen, place the pan on a griddle,cover and place weight on the lid,this will help the nuts to cook.
  7. You will know its done when there is no moisture and the ghee floats up.
  8. Transfer this mixture into a greased dish and let it set.
  9. Cut to desired shape and store in the fridge (can be stored for up to 6 months)
  10. Before serving ,heat 3 tbsp of the majoon with little milk in the microwave.

Sending this entry to Srivalli's Spicing your life



17 comments:

  1. Cherie, your majoon looks & sounds as exotic as the chola fali :) I am sure it wasn't a fail..i was expecting something worse, but looks good to go..nice to see new recipes on ur blog..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!! this looks fantastic. Never tasted this before. Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your majoon looks gorgeous, I haven't made it yet, i am hooked and want to try soon as it is milk based , you have lovely recipes and a beautiful blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. both have come out well, I think. For many of us who have never tasted these prior to the challenge that is an apprehension....they are quickly allayed once we taste the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You call THAT a fail? :D I'm sorry, I think we use different dictionaries! :D Lovely Majoon! awesome pic!
    -
    Kavi | Edible Entertainment
    Ongoing event: Healthy Lunch Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Majoon looks super rich and divine..lovely..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this divine creation/ so perfect/ Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cherie, your Majoon looks very tempting. I will try it sometime.. I love rich sweets especially sweets which call for lots of dry fruits.. Your pic is beckoning me to try it soon.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow perfect shape..as I said you should have posted the chola fali too..so glad you joined us finally..

    ReplyDelete
  10. U've shaped them into barfi's...looks great! Yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow amazing recipe,never tasted this...want to try soon...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at those delicious cubes of sweet goodness. They look excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The majoon looks grt wen shaped into cubes...though we normally r not able to as it is quite crumbly....but for a person to try it for the first time its a starred one!!..amazing....job...n the chola fali is actually tedious n one makes muscles...but next time use feet for pounding...still even if it does nt puff up its taste is super!!n welcome to icc:))

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...