During my college days, I used to go to a restaurant with my friend Vidhya, the name of the restaurant was Cassapicola, it served European cuisine. This was our favorite place to hangout ,we used to plan this day and saw through it that we did not have breakfast that morning . Even though we had just 200 rupees in our pocket we used to share one Italian Potato salad, one chicken casserole and end it with profitrole served with vanilla ice cream topped with hot chocolate sauce. We used to get high on Casapiccola food and laugh like crazy.
They also served one of my favorite dish, it was named 'Casapicola mixed grill'. Grilled chicken and sausage in mushroom sauce served with mashed potato ,salad and garlic bread. Herb de provence' comes almost close to Casapicola mixed grill.
This particular recipe has been stolen from 'foodwishes.com'. The original recipes uses only Mushroom but i have added red and green bell peppers too, and the foodwishes chef uses balsamic vinegar for mushroom sauce which I have replaced it with little bit of soya sauce, reason being we Indians don't use balsamic vinegar in our everyday cooking and I did not want to buy one whole bottle of balsamic vinegar, because believe me this is once in six months dish for me(my husband likes Indian food). The foodwishes chef also mentioned that he will be using balsamic vinegar to give color to the mushroom sauce. So I figured no harm in using soya sauce ,and it tasted good too.
Herb de Provence' is actually a mixture of 8 or more different kinds of dried herbs, you will get it in any supermarket in the dried herb section along with all the parsley, oregano, rosemary.......
Print this recipe
- 2 boneless, chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken stock(I made stock using maggie chicken cube )
- 2 cloves garlic mashed
- black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- 1 tblsp herbs de provence
- 3 tblsp olive oil
- 3 tblsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups sliced button mushroon
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 2tsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
* Marinate chicken breast in olive oil ,garlic, herb de provence and pepper(do not add salt, it will pull out all the liquid in the chicken),put the marinated chicken in a zip loc bag and marinate for 4 hours(I marinated it overnight)
* Before frying the marinated chicken, put some salt. In a non stick pan add butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil and fry the chicken breast on medium heat , four minutes on each side.Remove the fried chicken and place it on a plate and keep it aside.
* In the same pan add sliced button mushroom and 1/2 tsp salt and fry it on medium heat till it turns brown. Now put in 1 tbsp of flour and fry the mushroom for over 5 minutes till the raw taste of flour goes.Add green and red bell peppers and fry for a minute. now add in the chicken stock and soya sauce. Put in the fried chicken breast and let it cook for few more minutes till the sauce thickens. Adjust salt at this point.
How to assemble:
Place chicken breast on the serving plate, pour mushroom sauce on top and serve it with mashed potato and buttered vegetables.