Vanilla Panna cotta........ fancy name.....but super simple dessert.
Whenever I used to watch a chef using vanilla bean, I never thought it would make any difference......until I used it myself........last week I bought 2 vanilla beans (just two).......I am glad I used it .....and I am glad I used it wisely......End result......Vanilla Bean just ROCKS.
print this recipe
- 500ml Fresh Cream
- 50 g Sugar
- 1 Vanilla bean (or vanilla extract)
- 2 1/2 tsp Gelatin
- 50 ml Cold water
Fresh Strawberry Sauce
- 200g Fresh Strawberries
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- Pour cream into a saucepan, split vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape all the seeds with a knife and into the cream,toss in the whole bean in too. Bring the cream to a simmer, take off the heat and discard the vanilla bean. Cover the pan for 30 minutes.
- Add sugar to the cream and re-heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Lightly grease 6 to 7 cups(I used small steel tumblers) with oil.
- In a bowl sprinkle gelatin over cold water and let it stand for 10 minutes.
- Pour the warm vanilla cream over the gelatin and stir until it is completely dissolved.
- Divide the mixture into the greased cups and chill for 4 to 5 hrs or overnight.
- Make Strawberry sauce- Blend half of the strawberries with sugar in a blender till smooth.Chop the remaining strawberries and mix both.Transfer to a bowl.
- Removing the set panna cotta from the cups is pretty tricky. Run a knife around the edges and unmold into a serving bowl and serve with strawberry sauce.