Okay.......I know.......I am going overboard with chocolate......I am official a self confessed 'CHOCOHOLIC' ......
This Devil's Food Cake is truly 'DEVILISH' .....and the frosting is just 'SINFUL'...I can think of doing a lot of naughty things with it ...(Is that sentence permissible in the blogging world.....or will I be banned ).....I don't care......coz.....believe me ....this frosting ....is 'PURE PURE PURE SIN'
This cake is dedicated to my 'Dearest Nautanki Sister ' Neetu .......If Devina is the butter in my life.....Neetu is my Chocolate:)
Print this recipe
Recipe source:Nigella Lawson
- 50g Cocoa Powder, sifted
- 100g Muscovado sugar - I used Soft Brown sugar
- 250 ml Boiling Water
- 125g Unsalted Butter, softened
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 225g Plain Flour
- 1/2tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2tsp Soda bi carbonate
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 Eggs
- Preheat oven at 180 degree C.
- Line the bottom of two 8 inch round cake tin with baking paper and grease the sides and lightly dust with flour. Set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together cocoa powder, muscovado/brown sugar and boiling water till well combined and set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and soda bi carbonate and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and caster sugar with an electric hand beater till it turns pale and fluffy.Now add vanilla essence/extract and beat.
- Add one egg and keep beating and quickly add a scoop full of flour mixture. Now add the other egg.
- Keep mixing and add in rest of the flour mixture. Finally add in the cocoa/brown sugar/water mixture
- At this point my batter was pretty thick and I really felt that my beater was going to give up, I quickly added few tablespoons of milk and mixed in with a spatula.
- Divide the batter equally between the two cake tins and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or till done.
- Let the cake cool in the tins for 5 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack. Let cool completely.
- I started preparing the frosting as soon as the cake was in the oven, because the frosting needs at least an hour to set.
- For frosting :Combine water, brown sugar and butter in a sauce pan and place on low heat till the butter melts and mixture starts to bubble slightly.Remove off the flame and add the chopped chocolate and let it stand for few minutes before mixing with a whisk. You will be left with a runny chocolate sauce.
- Set aside for an hour, keep whisking in regular intervals. The frosting will thicken gradually. If you want to hurry up the thickening process, keep the frosting in the fridge for few minutes,remember to keep whisking the frosting in regular intervals or the frosting will harden.
- Assemble the cake:-Place one cake top side down on a cake stand and spread about third of the frosting on the cake and spread with a spatula. Place the other cake and spread the remaining frosting on the cake and spread evenly on the sides.