I told you....one more Middle eastern sweet dish to forget the violent story....and come on....Middle eastern theme and no Baklava...that is a crime.
Its a very well know fact that Baklava is made using Phyllo sheets.....and strictly phyllo sheets and nothing what so ever can replace that......phyllo sheets in Bangalore (close to impossible).......making phyllo sheets at home (IMPOSSIBLE...at least for someone as lazy as me).....That is exactly why I cheated.....spring roll sheets (I know....1 spring roll sheet is equal 3 phyllo sheets).....but I had to try and I just loved it.....any person who is not familiar with baklava will love this one.....but....if a Middle Eastern walks in....I am running out the door before I get smacked in the face for having the audacity to use spring roll sheets instead for phyllo sheets ....but believe me.....I think this is the closest substitute for phyllo sheets, you certainly won't be disappointed...please do try it out......awesome sweet treat.
Recipe from here
- 12 Spring roll sheets or phyllo sheets
- 1/3 cup Almond ,coarsely ground
- 1/3 cup Walnuts or cashew nut ,coarsely ground
- 1/4 cup Coconut powder
- 1/4 cup Castor Sugar
- 1/2 cup melted Butter
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Rose water (optional)
- Mix ground almond ,walnuts or cashew,coconut powder,castor sugar and cardamom powder in a small bowl and set aside.
- Take two spring roll sheets and join the edges so that you have one long sheet.Butter the entire sheet using a brush.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of ground nuts on the short side of the sheet and roll once,apply butter on the rolled part of the sheet.Roll again and apply butter,now sprinkle another tablespoon of ground nuts and roll, each time you roll keep applying butter on the rolled part of the sheet.
- Place the roll in a square 8 inch baking pan, continue the same procedure with rest of the rolls.Using a sharp knife cut the rolls in 18 equal size rolls.
- Bake the rolls in a preheated oven at 180 degree C for 30 minutes or till the roll is crispy and brown.
- Meanwhile prepare sugar syrup. Combine sugar and water in a vessel and cook till you get one thread consistency.Add lemon juice to stop the syrup from crystallizing.Now add rose water.
- Pour the hot syrup over the baked rolls ans let it stand for few minutes.
- Garnish with pistachios.