Any Middle Eastern feast is incomplete without the very famous vegetarian snack Falafel.....Serve them hot with pita bread...cucumber mint dip...fresh tomatoes....lettuce and sliced onions...you end up with the perfect Falafel pita bread sandwich.....
Recipe Source Titli's Busy Kitchen
Print this recipe
- 200 grams Chickpeas (soaked in water overnight)
- 4 cloves Garlic,finely chopped
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds (or 2tsp cumin powder)
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds (or 2 tsp coriander powder)
- 1/2 cup Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- Salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
- Add the soaked and drained chickpeas into a food processor and blend for few minutes and transfer to a bowl , the chickpea paste should not be too coarse nor too smooth.
- Using a motor and pestle grind the coriander and cumin powder into coarse powder.
- Add the finely chopped onion and garlic,salt, cumin powder and coriander powder to the chickpeas and mix well.
- Place this mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes ,remove and add baking soda and give a thorough mix.
- Place the oil in a frying pan and heat on medium.
- Take and tablespoon and a half of the chickpea mix in you hand and form and ball and flatten slightly.
- When the oil is hot fry the chickpea balls on medium flame till the falafel turns golden brown in color.
- Remove and drain the excess oil in absorbent paper.
- Serve the hot falafel with cucumber and mint dip and pita bread.
- 1 medium Cucumber
- 1/4 cup Mint leaves, finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 200 ml Yogurt
- Salt to taste
- Scrape the cucumber skin, slit and scoop out the seeds and discard.Grate the cucmber.
- In a bowl and yogurt and mix till smooth ,grate the garlic into the yogurt,add the grated cucumber,mint and salt and mix well.
- Transfer into a bowl and serve with falafel.