my very special friend Mini came to Bahrain from Kerala for a two week vacation.It was her daughter Nia's birthday and I decided to make a cake, I first thought i will stick to my no fail rich chocolate cake, then I came across a recipe for zebra cake from a famous blogger Divya (divyaseasycookbook.blogspot)
I thought of trying this out, though I was a little scared,coz I am not a great baker,pathetic at icing cakes and I don't like making cakes with more than 2 eggs(I just hate that eggy smell)I was worried that this cake will fail.
but Mini who is my motivation guru ;) said "don't worry, cakes won't fail a die hard chef like you", I knew she was joking,but I still felt motivated.so I went ahead.
The original recipe did not have frosting, since it was a birthday cake I thought of frosting it.
- 2cups flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5tbsp cocoa
- 4 eggs
- 1cup sugar
- 1cup milk
- 1cup oil
- 1tsp vanilla
- Grease a 9 inch round baking pan and keep aside.Preheat oven at 180 degree c
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt ,keep aside.
- Combine eggs, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl, I used an electric whisk, beat well till the mixture is light yellow in color and creamy texture (about 6 to 7 minutes)
- Add milk and oil and continue to beat until well blended.
- fold in the flour mixture with a whisk or wooden spoon and blend well until you get a smooth batter.
- Divide the batter equally in to two bowls. Sift in cocoa powder into one of the bowls and blend well, until you get a dark chocolate batter.
- Pour 3 tbsp(or one small ladle) of plain batter in middle of the 9 inch baking pan, now pour 3 tbsp chocolate batter in middle of the pan on top of the plain batter, do not touch the pan, keep repeating this layering till you finish all the batter.
- 8.Slowly place the baking pan in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or check by inserting a toothpick to see if it comes out clean.
- 1 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 6 tbsp butter(soften and unsalted)
- 4 tbsp icing sugar
- put the chocolate chips and butter into a heat proof bowl, keep the bowl on a double boiler, keep stirring till the chocolate chips melt. Take of the double boil and mix in the icing sugar. The icing will be thick. Frost the cake with a flat spatula.