Friday, November 11, 2011

Homemade Chicken Nuggets- Kids Special




When I was in Bahrain, I used to have frozen chicken nuggets every other day,I think it was the same in most of the households in the Middleeast ...frozen nuggets, sausage,burgers....Until I came across Jamie Olivers food Revolution... he was determined to make school kids eat healthy food...I am not much of a healthy food person...and I am proud of it...I believe in 'Eat your hearts content'...but the whole video on chicken nuggets just grossed me out...I would not call myself a healthy mom....I do let my kid eat junk food sometimes (she just loves KFC-maybe if I see the truth behind KFC...I would feel grossed out,but I choose to act blind). I strongly believe kids should get used to all kinds of food...be it healthy or junk....so Iam really not a picky mom when it comes to food....but...... Frozen chicken nuggets still makes me feel ...YUCK..That is when I decided to make nuggets at home.

I came across this super simple Nugget recipe....my girl went crazzzyy over it...so did my dad ....lol...


Ingredients
  • 1 slice white bread,crust removed
  • 2 medium Chicken breast ,chopped
  • 1/4 Cup Grated cheese (optional)
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 small potato ,grated
  • 1 small onion , grated
  • 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
  • 1 tsp Seasoning ,personal choice (pepper/5 spice powder/paprika....)
  • 2 cloves Garlic , crushed
  • salt to taste
  • Breadcrumbs to coat the Nuggets in
  • Oil for deep frying


Method
  1. Blend in a mixie/processor together white bread,chopped chicken breasts and cheese(I skipped cheese). Transfer to a medium bowl and add potato, onion,egg yolk,seasoning, red chilli flakes and salt.
  2. Shape the mixture into nuggets (if they don't hold shape,add little bread crumbs). Coat the shaped nuggets with breadcrumbs.
  3. Keep in the fridge for 30 minutes (this helps the nuggets to hold shape). Deep fry in hot oil till the chicken is cooked through and turns golden brown.
  4. Serve with mayonnaise or tomato ketchup 

20 comments:

  1. Niiiice!! Cherie! Just what I need for my picky eater :D my son has a picky mom :D but my hubby is like u...eat anything to ur heart's content types...but yeah, i am a wee bit health conscious simply because good eating habits are built from childhood..like how I eat any nonsensical veggie but my hubby is so choosy I want to tear my hair out!! But there's nothing better than making junk snacks the healthy way!! Kudos to u mamma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow awesome post,home made nuggets very nice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. its my fav too....fabulous nd perfect nuggets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks tempting,neve tried nuggets. will plan definetely one day

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow..Kids luv nuggets..Even i do.I started making my nuggets and homemade ones r highly healthy compared to frozen ones..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mindblowing and super tempting nuggets..inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mouthwatering nuggets,looks so tempting n excellent presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is the ... .. in the seasoning ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks just like the store brought ones,delicious!!very nice post,bookmarking!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thx for stopping by my blog and following me...First time to yours and love it. Your pictures are mouthwatering..can't wait to try some recipes...Daal Makhani is first on the list! Now following you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely space! The nuggets look perfect. I also think kids should be allowed a bit of junk once in a while... :)

    Thanks for commenting on my space.....Yes, you can skip the cheese while making chicken and egg balls.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Only one word - AWESOME!! I made this for my 4yr and 1 yr old and OH!!! what a big hit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thumbs Up Charishma.
    Absolutely yummy.
    My kids loved this occassional treat in their tiffin boxes.
    Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seems great recipe but is the potato preboiled or raw...:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are the chicken breast and potato preboiled?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Made these last night. They were scrumptious!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Made these last night despite my frying phobia. They were scrumptious!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love chicken nuggets my daughter sapna loves corns do u think i can add them to it

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...