When I was in Bahrain, I used to have frozen chicken nuggets every other day,I think it was the same in most of the households in the Middleeast ...frozen nuggets, sausage,burgers....Until I came across Jamie Olivers food Revolution... he was determined to make school kids eat healthy food...I am not much of a healthy food person...and I am proud of it...I believe in 'Eat your hearts content'...but the whole video on chicken nuggets just grossed me out...I would not call myself a healthy mom....I do let my kid eat junk food sometimes (she just loves KFC-maybe if I see the truth behind KFC...I would feel grossed out,but I choose to act blind). I strongly believe kids should get used to all kinds of food...be it healthy or junk....so Iam really not a picky mom when it comes to food....but...... Frozen chicken nuggets still makes me feel ...YUCK..That is when I decided to make nuggets at home.
I came across this super simple Nugget recipe....my girl went crazzzyy over it...so did my dad ....lol...
- 1 slice white bread,crust removed
- 2 medium Chicken breast ,chopped
- 1/4 Cup Grated cheese (optional)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 small potato ,grated
- 1 small onion , grated
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp Seasoning ,personal choice (pepper/5 spice powder/paprika....)
- 2 cloves Garlic , crushed
- salt to taste
- Breadcrumbs to coat the Nuggets in
- Oil for deep frying
- Blend in a mixie/processor together white bread,chopped chicken breasts and cheese(I skipped cheese). Transfer to a medium bowl and add potato, onion,egg yolk,seasoning, red chilli flakes and salt.
- Shape the mixture into nuggets (if they don't hold shape,add little bread crumbs). Coat the shaped nuggets with breadcrumbs.
- Keep in the fridge for 30 minutes (this helps the nuggets to hold shape). Deep fry in hot oil till the chicken is cooked through and turns golden brown.
- Serve with mayonnaise or tomato ketchup