Karada Kaddi ...translated .....Spicy Stick.
You tell my mom to cook for 100 people ...she will do it in a jiffy....but ...you tell her to make snacks or sweets .....she will run a mile away from you...She has never been a snack or sweet person(loves to eat them...but not make them)...she believes...."When you can get it in any store, why go through the trouble of making it"...so this duty of making sweets ...snacks...desserts for festivals or parties comes to me.
I had bookmarked recipes for kara sev from many of my fellow bloggers ...but I settled down with my Granny's recipe for karada kaddi...she showed me her hand for measurements...explained the whole procedure in 1 minute and left to sit on her easy chair and watch her favorite serial. I made the Kara Kaddi
in the afternoon...the whole batch was finished by evening(I was hoping it will last till diwali). It was so crispy and fresh.....never going for store bought Kara sev ever again. Will be making it again next week for my hubby who loves munching on these...
Print this recipe
- 3 cups Besan (Gram flour)
- 4 tbsp rice flour
- Pinch Hing (asafoetida)
- Pinch Soda powder (optional)
- 2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp Ajwain seeds
- 3 green chillies
- oil for deep frying
- Grind green chillies and ajwain in small mixie jar to a coarse pasted. Add 1 cup water and grind again.Pass this through a sieve. Use this water to knead the dough.
- In a bowl mix besan, rice flour, salt, soda powder, hing,red chilli powder, melted butter and oil. Add the green chilli - ajwain water and form a sticky dough. Use as much water required (you don't have to use up all the water)
- Heat oil in a pan. Oil the Sev press and fill it with the prepared dough.and press into hot oil.make one circle of sev. fry on both sides till golden brown or till the sound and bubbles subside.
- Remove from oil and place it on absorbent paper.
- Repeat the same with rest of the dough.
- Let the sev cool down completely before breaking to medium size pieces and store in air tight container.