Monday, November 21, 2011

Chicken Green Chops


There are different versions of chicken chops .As long as I remember this is how we have been making chops at home,its been pass down to me by my mother who learnt it from my granny.

My granny rarely cooks nowadays,she just relaxes and watches her daughters do all the cooking.She does enter the kitchen on special occasions...like cooking special dishes for festivals or for a  mother to be.My mother was not in station for few days...so my granny was in charge of the kitchen. When I was busy making my mud pie (recipe coming up soon) granny made this amazing chicken chops....our neighbors dropped by to find out about the amazing aroma .Looks like she hasn't lost touch ...(and yes 15 green chillies...we like our food spicy)

Ingredients
Print this recipe

  • 1 kg Chicken (cut to medium pieces)
  • 5 big Onions, chopped
  • 2 inch Ginger, chopped
  • 20 cloves Garlic, roughly chopped
  • 15 Green chillies ,slit
  • 1/2 small bunch of Coriander leaves
  • 3 tbsp Mint leaves
  • Cinnamon Small piece
  • 4 Cloves
  • 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
  • 2 tbsp Ghee

  • 1 medium Onion, chopped
  • 2 medium Tomatoes ,chopped
  • 2 cloves
  • Cinnamon small piece
  • salt to taste
  • 2 tbsp Ghee
Method
  1. Heat 2 tbsp ghee is a small pan ,add chopped onion fry for few minutes and add garlic,ginger,cloves and cinnamon and fry till the onions turn golden brown.Add turmeric powder and fry for a minute. Now add green chillies, coriander leaves and mint leaves and fry for 3 to 4minutes. Remove from flame and grind to a smooth paste using very little water.keep this aside.
  2. Place a large non stick vessel on medium high flame. Add 2 tbsp ghee, when ghee is hot add cinnamon and cloves and stir for few seconds,now add chopped onion and fry till it turns golden brown,now add chopped tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes melt. add the ground masala and stir and cook till raw smell disappears and ghee leaves the sides of the masala. 
  3. Add the chicken and salt and mix well, add 1/2 cup water (or more depending on desired consistency). Cover and cook till the chicken is done.
  4. Chicken Chops tastes best with Ghee Rice or any Indian bread.

20 comments:

  1. What a stunning green curry...man! I can imagine the rush of flavours thanks to all the spices predominantly the green chillies - bookmarking this Cherie :) will try this with fewer chillies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love gravys made with green chillies it gives a nice flavor to the dish....yum!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... what a lovely spicy blend... truly it must have tasted divine..:) Very similar to chettinad chicken preparation but this is done with red chillies..:) Adding green chillies must give a whole new flavour ..:)
    Too good..
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slurp,super flavourful chicken chops,makes me drool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely color..I am sure it is really aromatic and nice..esp when it is granny's rec ...its always got a special touch:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely green curry. This is new to me. Loved the snap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow.! Looks superb.! Grandma's recipes are the best. I can almost smell it!. ummm..

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks awesome...Yummy one..A must to try..

    Do visit my blog sometime..

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was so tasty, but a little hot hehe
    I loved it .. thanks alot

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks great. I love any curry with ghee rice. I can almost imagine this combo. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that looks delish charishma, one of my fav curries....!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Cherie,

    I was wondering why these are called chops?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same here....iam wondering too...asked my mom and she started to wonder too ...asked my granny...she started wondering and then told me to shut up and eat the chops :)

      Delete
    2. In my opinion, I think its because it is chicken joint pieces and not otherwise(as per perference of course- I like med/small pieces too!).

      Delete
  13. Damm hungry by seeing the pics....love that creamy version of chops...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cherie,

    Made this last night and it was really good...Thanks so much for the recipe :)

    Rupa Shetty

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Cherie,

    Tried this yesterday....thanks for posting :)

    Looking forward to trying out more!!

    Ramya

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tried it and loved it! Will be cooking this one for potluck. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i loved it the first time i tried it... been addicted to this recipe ever since! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...