But there are few special Sundays which we wait for, that is "Appam and Egg curry Sunday', which comes once in two months. I know appam and stew are a very good combination, but for me , if its appam then there has to be egg curry, I would not like it any other way.
Print this recipe
- 10 eggs (boiled and cut to half)
- 4 medium sized onion (sliced)
- 1 small onion (chopped) for seasoning
- 9 red chillies(roasted 6 long and 3 small) or 2 tbsp chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds(roasted) or 3tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (roasted) or 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 10 to 15 peppercorn (roasted) or 2 tsp pepper powder
- 7 to 8 fenugreek seeds (roasted)
- 1/2 tsp tamarind (use very little)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 tin coconut milk or homemade coconut milk
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp ghee
- In a pan heat oil on medium flame, when hot add 4 sliced onion and fry till onions become soft and light golden brown, add turmeric and fry for a minute or two.Now add red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, fenugreek seeds, tamarind and 1/2 inch cinnamon. fry for two minutes.
- Let the mixture cool a little and grind using 2 or 3 tbsps of coconut milk and little water to a thick paste.
- Transfer the ground masala into the same pan, add coconut milk and mix till well combined.
- Place on medium flame ,add 1 cup water(if you want the gravy thick reduce water). Add salt and bring the gravy to boil, now add the eggs and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Take off the flame.
- Seasoning: in a small pan heat ghee when hot add 1/2 inch cinnamon and chopped onion and fry till onion turns dark brown (almost black). Pour this seasoning over the egg gravy.
- Serve egg gravy with Appam