every mother when they give away their daughters after marriage , they send them with love and loads of 'masala powder', be it homemade masala powder or store bought 'kundapur taal powder (in case of mangaloreans), just to make our life a little easier.So did my mom,these masala powders are like universal,can be used for any kind of curry be it veg or non veg.The first thing a 'bunt' mom teaches her daughter is not how to make ganji or neer dosa or rasam, its always 'kori ghassi'. this is one short cut kori ghassi.
- 1 kg chicken
- 3 onions (chopped finely)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped finely)
- 4 tbsp masala powder( or 4tsp chilli pwd, 2 tsp coriander pwd,1 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp pepper pwd)
- 3tbsp oil
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 10 curry leave (optional)
- 1 cup water
1 small onion (finely chopped)
2 tbsp ghee
1/2 inch cinnamon
* Keep a vessel on medium high flame, add oil, when oil is hot add chopped onion, fry till translucent, then add the masala powder and fry for 3 to 4 minutes ,add tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes are melted and the oil seperates, now add the chicken and fry for two minutes.pour in the coconut milk and 1 cup of water curry leaves and salt.
* When the gravy comes to boil, reduce the heat to medium, cover partially and cook till chicken is done.
* heat ghee in a small pan , when hot add chopped onion and cinnamon, when the onion turns dark brown,take it of the flame and pour this on the chicken ghassi.
* this kori ghassi can be served with roti, ghee rice, neer dosa, chappati............
my next post will be ghee rice