apricot velvet or qubani ka meetha is a famous Hyderabadi sweet dish,prepared during weddings and ramadan.
preparation of this dish involves cooking of the apricots with sugar and served with custard, cream or ice cream.
- 25 dried apricots
- 500ml milk
- 2tbsp custard powder
- 200 ml fresh cream or whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar for apricots
- 4tbsp sugar for custard
- 3tbsp sugar for cream
- wash and soak apricots in water overnight.open the apricots and remove the seed , place all the apricots in a pan and keep the seeds aside.
- add 1/2 cup of sugar to the apricot and 1/2 cup of water or the water the apricot was soaked in.cook on medium low flame, the apricots are ready when its a thick sauce consistency and bits of apricots still visible,add more water if required.
- break open the seed carefully and you will find small kernel inside which resembles an almond, but miniature in size. You can cook these kernels along with the apricots or you can use it for garnish.
- prepares custard- mix 2 tbsp of custard powder in 4 tbsp of cold milk and keep aside. Add sugar to 500ml milk and bring to boil, add the custard and milk mixture gradually and keep stirring,till you get a smooth and slightly thick consistency. take it of the flame and keep aside
- prepare the cream- whip cream with sugar to your desired consistency and keep aside.
- assemble-in a serving dish put one layer of apricot sauce ,top it with custard and the final layer with whipped cream. Garnish with apricot kernels.