Monday, November 28, 2011

Thai Red Curry Paste


Ok first let me just make this clear to all the hardcore Thai food fans......This red curry paste recipe has been modified to suit the Indian kitchen....so you might find few ingredients amiss...like I could not find galangal(my bad luck...I found galangal the next day after I had prepared the paste)....so I replaced it with ginger and the same goes for shrimp paste (which is one of the ingredients of original red curry paste)...but this was the closest I could get to the original and Iam extremely happy with the results...So please don't grill me:)

I made this paste a day ahead...saves a lot of time,if you are planning to make Thai red curry for a party.


Recipe Source: Nita Mehta
Ingredients
Print this recipe
  • 8 to 10 Dried Red Chillies ( Kashmiri chillies- I used Byadigi)
  • 170ml Warm Water
  • 1Onion or Shallots, roughly chopped
  • 15to 16 flakes of Garlic,peeled
  • 2 inch Ginger or Galangal, roughly chopped
  • Few stems of Coriander leaves (only stem not leaves)
  • 2 stalk of Lemon Grass, roughly chopped(only the pale part)
  • 3 tbsp Coriander seeds
  • 2 tsp Cumin seed
  • 12 Peppercorns
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp Vinegar
Method
  1. De seed dried red chillies and soak in 170 ml warm water for 10 minutes.
  2. Roast coriander seeds and cumin seeds in a pan on low flame till they turn light brown.Transfer to a blender.
  3. Now add to the blender chopped onions/ shallots,soaked red chillies(reserve the water ),garlic, ginger, coriander stems,lemon grass,pepper corns,salt and vinegar.
  4. Grind to a fine paste using the water the chillies were soaked in.
  5. You can preserve this paste in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to a month or freeze for 3 months.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, nice post Cherie! Have never tried much of Thai..and now that you mention that Thai paste has shrimp in it..OMG! i'm so allergic to prawn/shrimp!! Donno how i have survived if I've eaten it before :) Anyway, its something I will bookmark if I intend to have an oriental themed party - thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks lovely. This lovely red colour of the paste is the main thing for the gravy. I was searching for this from so long and thanks for this. Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thai red curry has turned out pretty good. The heat you get out of it is always challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a bright red color u got for d paste..yummm

    ReplyDelete
  5. good one dear..bookmarking this..

    ReplyDelete
  6. just tried this.. came up real nice ..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...