I think one of those dishes people associate with Mangalore is Goli bhajje.Very famous tea time snack for mangaloreans, very simple and easy to make.The whole credit for this dish goes to my mom.Goli bhajje is best served with coconut chutney.
- 1 cup yogurt
- 3/4 cup maida (all purpose flour)
- 1/4 tsp soda powder
- 3 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- pinch hing (optional)
- oil to deep fry
- In a bowl add yogurt, green chillies, cumin seeds,salt,sugar,hing and soda powder. Mix well
- Now mix in the maida and beat well till well combined into a thick batter.Keep this aside for few minutes.The batter will not be as thick as before(yogurt will leave some water) ,but it should be of dropping consistency.
- heat oil on medium flame ,when hot (stand far away and sprinkle few drops of water into the oil,it will start splattering,when the splattering stops that means the oil is ready) drop in the batter(as shown in the video below). fry till golden brown.
- remove and place the goli bhajjes on a absorbent paper.
- serve with chutney