pathrode is a traditional south canara food,made during the rainy season and Ganesh Chathurthi. It is steamed idlis wrapped in banana leaves and soaked in coconut based gravy . But this idli is made with brown rice and chopped colocaesia/taro leaves .
Print this recipe
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 cup urad dal
- salt to taste
- 1 bunch colocaesia/taro leaves (chopped)
- 4 banana leaves
- Soak urad dal and brown rice in water separately overnight.
- grind urad dal and brown rice seperately using very little water to very thick paste.
- In a big bowl mix in urad dal and brown rice batter and add chopped colocaesia /taro leaves and salt and add little water to get desired consistency (shown in video below).
- Place the idli steamer on medium high flame and cover. Place the banana leaves on top of the idli steamer for few minutes,this is to soften the banana leaf so that its can be folded easily.
- Place the batter on the banana leaf and fold(as shown in video),place this in the idli steamer and steam for 45 minutes to 1 hr.
- Let the pathrode cool down and then cut it to thick pieces.
- 3 cups fresh grated coconut
- 5 long red chillies (roasted)
- 4 small red chillies (roasted)
- 2 tsp roasted coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp roasted cumin seeds
- marble sized tamarind
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion chopped
- salt to taste
- 2tbsp oil
- Grind coconut,long and small red chillies,coriander and cumin seeds, turmeric powder, tamarind and garlic to a smooth and thick paste using little water.
- Place a vessel on medium flame add oil,when oil is hot add chopped onion fry till golden brown,now add the ground coconut masala and 1 cup water or according to desired gravy like consistency.
- Now add salt and bring the gravy to a boil.Add the steamed pathrode into the boiling gravy and let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve after few hours when the pathrode sucks up the gravy.