I don't know about you ,but I remember... ..since I was a kid and till date whenever I go to functions...weddings or poojas where food is served on banana leaves....I never shy away from asking the person who serves for 2 chattambades and 2 papads.
- 2 cups Channa dal (Bengal gram dal)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 2 green chillies (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Dill leaves (chopped)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves (chopped)
- 4 to 5 curry leaves
- salt to taste
- pinch hing
- oil to deep fry
- Wash and soak channa dal in water for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours , drain the water and keep 2 tbsps of channa dal aside and transfer the remaining channa dal into a mixie and using very little water or no water at all grind for few seconds to a very coarse paste.
- Add coriander, dill leaves,curry leaves ,onion,green chillies and salt and give one final spin (for 2 seconds)
- Transfer to a bowl and add whole channa dal and mix well.The paste must be thick.
- Heat oil in a deep vessel, make flat vadas and slip into hot oil, continue the same with rest of the vadas. Fry till the vadas turn golden brown.
- Serve with chutney.