Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Patra ni Macchi - Fish steamed in Banana leaves

I keep bragging that I am a hardcore Non Vegetarian.....and then I saw my recipe index....I actually have more vegetarian dishes when compared to non veg........then I started doubting myself , only then I realized how our kitchen works......I can make anything I want....from cookies ...to....cakes....desserts.....appetizers....vegetarian......But when it comes to non vegetarian food my mom pulls the plug. She always sticks to her authentic Mangalorean dishes , for some reason she refuses to come out of her comfort zone.Its always the same kori sukka, kori ghassi, her biryani, kori roti, bangude ghassi.... (by the way I just love all theses dishes).....This is why my Non Veg recipe index is short...we make the same dishes over and over again......

 All we try out with fish are Fish curry, fish masala fry or fish rawa fry...and when I told my mom that I wanted to try Patra ni Macchi....she marinated the fish with the usually spices for kingfish masal fry......and kept JUST 4 slices aside for me....JUST 4....... I was like .....Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

I continued anyways.....Always wanted to try out this dish...remember having this at a family function very long time ago...I was so fascinated by it...and the taste lingered.....I always thought it was a Kerala dish...learnt recently that it is Parsi Cuisine...Very refreshing and healthy (like it matters...I had 4 cupcakes after eating this healthy fish:)



Recipe source : Parsi Cuisine

Ingredients
Print This recipe
  • 4 slices fish (kingfish or promfret) - like I said mom kept just 4 slices aside :)
  • 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 cup Coriander leaves
  • 1/2 cup Mint leaves
  • 7 cloves Garlic
  • 1 inch Ginger
  • 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
  • Juice of 1 small lemon
  • salt to taste
  • 4 Banana Leaves 

Method

1. Grind coconut, garlic, ginger, turmeric powder,coriander leaves, mint leaves, cumin seeds, lemon juice and salt to a coarse paste. Adjust salt and lemon.
2. Marinate the fish in the green paste , refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Place the steamer with water on medium heat. Place the banana leaves on top of the steamer for a minute (this makes the banana leaves soft and its easier to fold the leaves)
4. Place the marinated fish on the banana leave and fold (as shown below). tie with strings(optional)
5. Place in the hot steamer and steam for 15minutes.
6. Serve hot with rice.




6 comments:

  1. Lol! Loved ur narration - 4 cupcakes after eating this healthy fish..love to read ur posts Charishma & the steamed fish looks so delectable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks tempting and mouthwatering...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy patra ni machi, charishma! I loved the detailed recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks yummy chinnu.....will surely try this...i had made my own version of this receipe turned out terrible....will try urs n see

    ReplyDelete
  5. WoW....This steamed fish looks awesome...I am bookmarking it right away...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow wat a flavourful steamed fish, yumm..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...