Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Kadubu Shaped Modak (Indian Momos)- Blog Skip Wednesday


I know I was supposed to post this last Wednesday  but due to few reasons I could not....I apologize.
So  I am naming this Blog Skip Wednesday.

I know I know.... this not the actual  modak shape....but believe me I tried ...I saw this video on 'how to make modak'.....and I thought 'wow that is super simple' and tried it out and failed miserably. I was all set to give up and my mom (moms are superwomen, they get ideas in a split second)  told that I could use a kadubu mold....different shape....but same taste. 

Last week I was paired with Nirmala from Nirmala's kitchen , and I chose to make Modak from her blog. Thank you for the recipe Nirmala.


Print this recipe
 Ingredients For filling

  • 1 cup fresh coconut 
  • 1/2 cup jaggery(grated or powdered)
  • 1 tsp cardamom powder
Method for filling
  • Place a pan on medium heat, add in coconut and jaggery and cook till the jaggery melts and the mixture is little dry. Add  cardamom powder and mix well. Keep this aside and prepare the outer cover for the modak.



Ingredients For outer covering

  • 1 1/2 cups raw rice powder (I used pathri powder)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tbsp ghee
  • pinch salt
Method
  1. Heat 2 cups water in a non stick vessel, add ghee and salt. When water comes to boil add the rice powder. Keep stirring to avoid lumps.Take off the flame.
  2. Cover and keep aside for few minutes
  3. Knead the rice dough while its warm, apply oil to your hands and the vessel you are kneading in. The dough should be smooth, soft and shiny.
To make Modaks
  1. Make a rice ball, oil a chappati stand and place the rice ball on it, roll out the rice ball into a circle and place it on the kadubu mold, place 1 tbsp of filling and close the kadubu mold and press. Remove excess rice dough from the sides and open the mold and remove the kadubu and place on a greased plate. Continue with the rest.
  2. Steam the modaks for 15 to 20 minutes.
  3. Serve with ghee
Note : Roll the rice dough thick ,or while steaming the modaks might crack, mine did:)



Sending to Radhika's tickling palates

12 comments:

  1. Wow looks super tempting and the shape looks too good

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a nice idea.. whats life without failing and attempting something new, right...we women r gifted with spontaneity :-)

    ONGOING EVENT: ABC Series - A for Apple

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfectly done....tempting and loved those perfect shapes..

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow thats perfect modak.love the patterns...luks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read this post. This post is a nice one that information are useful to me..that am here about exclusive south indian food in chennai and exclusive north indian food in chennai . That I will inform about your post to my friends and all the best for your future posts..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice presentation & modaks look tempting!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Cherry, Please post Kadle Manoli Sukka ....

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you everyone for the nice comments
    and anonymous ...yes i will put up the recipe for manoli kadle within the next few days... made it this week,have taken the pics...have to type the recipe
    charishma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious!!Thank you for try out from my blog.The shape is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...