I am very lucky to have a great bunch of sisters in my life.....each and everyone of them are so unique....though we all live in different corners of the world....get to see each other once a year(if we are lucky).......rarely talk over the phone. But the day we meet, its like we met just yesterday.....
Neetu, Devs, Kooky, Sachi and myself are a crazy bunch....but there is Niriksha Akka (the eldest)...who is the most composed......whom I look up to......... has the most beautiful smile........
supermom........juggling her busy life with two amazing kids and cooks amazing North Indian food.
Niriksha Akka sent me this dal makhani recipe which is one of her most popular dish. I tried it out...and just loved it...Thank you akka .
Print this recipe
- 1 cup Black Urad Dal(washed and soaked overnight)
- 1/4 cup Rajma / Red Kidney beans(washed and soaked overnight)
- 3 Tomatoes
- 2 onions
- 2 inch Ginger
- 2 Green Chillies
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup ghee or butter
- 2 tsp Jeera/ Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 4 tbsp Coriander Leaves (chopped)
- 5 tbsp Fresh cream
- Grind ginger, tomatoes, onion and green chillies into a fine paste.
- Place a cooker on medium high flame, add oil, when hot add the ground paste and fry for a minute add the black urad dal and rajma, mix well. Add salt and enough water to immerse the dal completely. Cover and cook till 8 whistles go off.
- Turn off the flame and check the dal. Add more water if required (the dal will look sticky at this point).
- Cover and cook again for 8 whistles. Take off the flame.
- Place a pan on medium heat , melt ghee or butter, add cumin powder and chilli powder. Stir for few seconds and add this seasoning to the prepared dal.
- Garnish with cream and coriander leaves.
- Serve with roti , rice or makki roti.
Makki di Roti
Making this roti for the first time...I think its supposed to be thicker....but I found it easier using the puri press....Please don't grill me if its does not look right....but it tasted good.:)
- 2 cups Maize flour
- hot water
- salt to taste
- ghee or butter to baste
- Mix maize flour and salt in a bowl. Knead into a soft dough using hot water. Keep aside for few minutes.
- Heat a tawa, make roti with hand or using a puri/ tortilla press.
- Put the roti on the hot tawa and fry on both sides. Apply ghee or butter.
- Serve with dal makhni.