Friday, August 12, 2011

Mangalore Buns

I have fond memories whenever I think of Buns, my dad is from Bailur (small village near Karkala, South Canara). Every summer vacation a visit to Bailur is what I used to look forward to. 

There is this tiny hotel in Bailur , I don't know the name but I remember my dad saying "Gadiyarda  buns podu kanaka" (lets get buns from gadiyar), I never bothered to ask my dad, I just assumed the name of the hotel to be Gadiyars and we still call it that. I have never had buns anywhere as good as Gadiyars.I remember seeing my  Dad and my Kutta thiddi (uncle) leave the house  to get buns from Gadiyars for evening tea. I used to peep out the window of our 150 years old beautiful house (I miss that house) waiting eagerly for my dad and uncle to return with buns tied up in newspaper.It was such a treat.

I miss those days when the whole family- granny, uncles, aunts,cousins all get together to eat hot buns with our evening tea.

Recipe source : Ruchik Randhap (Check out this blog, Shireen has amazing collection of Mangalorean recipes)

Ingredients
Print this recipe

  • 1/4kg or less All purpose flour (maida)
  • 3 small bananas
  • 2 tbsp curds
  • 4 tbsp sugar (an adjust to taste)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp soda bi carbonate
  • 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tbsp ghee/oil
  • oil for deep frying


Method

  1. Mash bananas in a bowl and mix in curds, soda,cardamom powder, salt, sugar and ghee.
  2. Add flour little at a time and mix in till well combined.Knead to form a semi stiff dough.
  3.  I did not use all the flour, and don't use water while kneading, the wet ingredients will have enough moisture. 
  4. Cover and keep in a warm area for 8 hours or overnight.
  5. Make small balls and roll thick.
  6. Deep fry in hot oil till they puff up and turn golden brown.
  7. You can eat buns just like that.
  8. The dough can be stored in the fridge for up to a week. 

12 comments:

  1. I just love this..looks really delicious n yummm

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow delicious buns,luks prefect...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i ve all of the above ingredients .. will try to make it. thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the nice words about my blog Charishma! Appreciate it a lot:) Love the Mlore buns just like u...taste is unbeatable isnt it? :)Esp those we get at small tea shops in Mlore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks lovely.. I feel this is quite similar to kerela food - pazham pori..

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks very yummy and similar to the batura that we make at home... though we dont put banana to it

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have eaten thse buns in Manalore and they are delicious to eat at tea time. Thanks for the recipe. Patsy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you remember visiting an ice-cream factory called Zam-Zam in Bailur..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two years late reply sorry ...yes I do know zam zam ...my whole family has sweet tooth and zam zam then was like heaven for us ...and the only place where butterscotch ice cream was orange in color ...now we go to udupi naturals or karkala ideals. ...☺

      Delete
  9. Nice to hear from you. Karkala has ideals, that's new. Have you visited Durga falls in Karkala ? And when is the next time you will be in Karkala ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By ideals I mean ...its store that sells only ideals ice cream ...not a ice cream parlor .. never been to Durga falls ...maybe next summer... will go there :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...