Tuesday, June 14, 2011

masala dosa

Ok my Mother in law makes the ultimate masala dosa,trust me she does.
I have no  words to explain her dosa,its just perfect and you will want more,I can have 4 dosas in one shot.I myself don't know how I managed to take these pictures,I just took two clicks and pounced on it.
My MIL puts her heart and soul into each dosa she makes,its so crispy and light and she roasts the dosa a little longer for me,coz I love my dosas crispy.
There are few things to follow ,my mother in law uses only cast iron tawa
the flame matters a lot
she adds maize flour ,semolina and wheat flour and
lots of love .




 Ingredients
Print this recipe
  • 3 cups rice
  • 1 cup urad dal
  • 1/2 cup beaten rice (the harder one)
  • 2 tsp fenugreek seeds or 1/2 tsp roasted fenugreek powder (put this to the batter)
  • 5 tbsp semolina
  • 2 tbsp maize flour
  • 2 tbsp wheat flour
  • ghee
  • salt to taste
  • potato bhajji
Method
  1. Wash and soak rice and fenugreek seeds in water,in another vessel soak urad dal for 3 hours or more.
  2. Grind the urad dal using little water into a smooth and thick paste,pour the batter into a big vessel.
  3. Grind rice along with fenugreek seeds to a coarse paste.Combine the urad dal batter and the rice batter and mix well,Beat with your hand,till fluffy.
  4. Cover and place the vessel in a warm place and let it ferment overnight.
  5. Before making the dosa add water to the batter if its too thick,adjust consistency.
  6. Add semolina,maize flour,wheat flour and salt and mix.
  7. Now pour a big ladle of batter onto a hot tawa (see video)
  8. Spread some oil or ghee,place  potato bhajji on the dosa and fold.
  9. Serve with chutney or sambhar.
Below is my version of masala dosa,the batter and potato bhajji recipe are the same.My sister Niriksha akka gave me this idea of using pav bhajji masala (I know weird right,that's what I thought too,but trust me it tastes good.)
*Pour a ladle of dosa batter on the tawa and spread it around.
 *Rub  butter on the dosa,the batter won't stick to the butter,the heat will just melt the butter.

 *Sprinkle pav bhajji masala
 * place potato bhajji on the dosa and fold.

7 comments:

  1. looks delish!! I have been looking for a PERFECT Dosa recipe..this seems to be the end of searching I guess. Will make it and let you know. BTW how many dosas will this batter make???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes itz true..i remember having dis delicious DOSA at her residence few years back...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi grishma
    sorry for the late reply,and abt how many dosas,it really depends on the cups that you use,i use the standard cup used for baking.that will make up to 25 to 30 dosas
    try out and let me know
    charishma
    (and i like your blog,nic pics)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello I have two questions.
    In the above recipe you have written 1/2 cup beaten rice (the harder one). When do I put in the dosa or how do I use it. & also which rice I should use? Can I use Iddli Rice. Regards, Sunita

    ReplyDelete
  5. by maize flour - do you mean cornflour or cornmeal? and rice- assuming its dosa rice?
    pl help-thnks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi maria
      Maize flour is not cornflour..it's cornmeal... The one also used to make makki ki roti and corn tortillas and yes dosa rice :)
      Cherie

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...