Recently I came across a blog called Passionate about baking by Deeba, she is like the mother of baking . She had this black forest gateau recipe which I had bookmarked and my mom was pestering me to do something about the canned cherries and pineapple in the pantry.Then I decided to try out the black forest gateau and it was my Hubbys birthday too.(with the canned pineapple I shall try out pineapple upside down cake,if its any good I will post it,if it isn't then you will never hear of it)
First of all I am not a big fan of cakes with more than 2 eggs,I just hate that eggy smell,I won't even touch a cake if I get a slight whiff of egg,and imagine me baking a cake with 6 eggs.But I took it as a challenge,to be extra careful I put little more than a teaspoon of vanilla or should I say lot more than a teaspoon. I have to confess that I was effected psychologically,I felt like the whole kitchen was smelling like an egg ,this continued even after I finished baking.But the end result was satisfying,not bad for the first time,not as good as bakery cake, but good enough:)
The original cake from the blog passionate about baking has four layers,but trust me if you are an amateur like me then plz stick to two layers,or you will end up with a mess and then don't blame me.
6 eggs (300grms)does not have to be exact
150 grms powdered sugar
3 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
Filling and topping
500 ml whipping cream
5 tbsp icing sugar
1 tin canned cherries(pitted and chopped ,reserve few cherries for decoration)
1 cup syrup (from canned cherries)
Juice of 1 lime
chocolate shavings for decoration
1. Pre heat the oven at 180 degree C .
2. Grease a 9inch cake tin,I have used spring form tin.Keep this aside.
3. Sift flour,baking powder,salt and cornflour three times and keep aside till further use.
4.Beat eggs and sugar with an electric beater.
7.Now mix in the flour mixture,fold gently to avoid the air from escaping.
8.Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 30 minutes or till done.
9.Remove from the oven and let the cake cool completely on a wire rack.
10. Cut the cake horizontally into desired layers.
- Mix cornflour with 1 tbsp cherry syrup, bring half cup cherry syrup to boil.Add the cornflour mix and boil till the syrup thickens.Take off the flame and add lime juice and let the syrup cool.
- Whip the cream with icing sugar till soft peaks form.
How to assemble
- Place bottom layer of the cake on a serving dish or cake tray,soak the cake with 1/2 of the cherry syrup.Spread half of the whipped cream on the cake and sprinkle the chopped cherries evenly over the whipped cream.
- Place the top layer of the cake over the cherries and soak with the remaining syrup.
- Spread the remaining whipped cream over the cake.Apply the chocolate shavings around the sides of the cake .Place the cherries on top of the cake to decorate.